Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Unity Day 20: What is it about Mondays?!

From Facebook:

"I'm worn out from a tough but productive morning at Summit Centre. Mommy already made me do all my homework, too. What a taskmaster that woman is! But it's time to relax with a nice bubba, now." --Ryan


Today was a bit different because the therapists are starting to fade themselves out of the picture.  In other words, instead of a therapist working one-on-one with each family, there was one therapist keeping an eye on both Unity families.  This means the moms were more independent in terms of selecting and carrying out trials and programs, and following the daily schedule of when to change rooms and do different activities. The therapist was there to see things were flowing smoothly and step in when necessary.

What an up and down day we had! It started out with Ryan in a terrible mood: he refused to do any work the instant we set foot in the Blue Room. I tried to encourage him with his reinforcers, but he didn't want any of them.  L. suggested I let him wander the Blue Room and just see what might interest him, but all he did was wander around and cry and flop down on the floor.  Next, he escalated to full-out tantrum.  We tried to see if he had some sensory needs (something to chew), but he just threw down his train track and screamed.  Then, they said to do what I do at home, so I picked him up and tried to rock him. He would let me for a minute or two, but then he'd get down and run away and scream again.  Finally, we agreed a change of scenery might do the trick, so I took Ryan for a walk down the hallway (it's a long hallway).  Ryan enjoys running his fingers along the wall and the vents/grates as we walk.  He whined for a bit, but the walk did eventually settle him.  It only took, oh, about a half hour to settle him down. It was rough. Mommy was definitely stressed.

But after that, it was like he got the demons out of his system, and he became a super star! I started with the piano, which is something he likes.  The instant I put it down and said, "Okay, we're going to play piano now," Ryan reached over to it and tink-tink-tink--just like that--he was playing with it totally independently!  I wasn't even ready to take data yet. I hadn't modeled it. All I did was say the words and set down the piano, and he played it.  What's more, while we were marveling over this, he continued to spontaneously reach out and tink-tink-tink away.  Piano has been removed from our goals.

Next, I tried having him imitate me patting the floor. Previously, we were at a wrist prompt.  Today I said, "Ryan, do this" (and patted the floor), and he immediately imitated me! There was no physical prompt needed. In fact, he did all 5 trials with only me showing him and then asking him to copy. It was great!

We also worked on clapping. This is a newer one, so I usually model the clap, then ask him to do it while I hold his one hand palm-up and prompt him (from the forearm or elbow) to bring his hands together to clap.  On the first trial, as soon as I put his one palm up, he independently brought his other hand over and tried to clap it!  In fact, he did this for 4/5 trials. It was unbelievable!

He did some good work with the shape sorter, too. I still have to do a lot of HOH for this because he wants to mouth the pieces (so I have to block and guide in the right direction), but he did try to put in a piece or two independently, and he was cooperative during the activity.

We got a few good "stand up" and "follow Mama" responses, too. Once he came the first time I asked him, and another time he came even before we turned the lights off in the room (one of his prompts). One thing we did notice, though, is we have to be patient with this one; sometimes it takes him a minute before he realizes it's time to go, or before he can get himself moving.  This is a case where it's okay to wait a bit longer to see what he'll do. 

The concept of "Go play" is still a bit foreign to Ryan.  I've tried moving the toys closer to him when he doesn't respond, or giving him a little nudge in the right direction (in addition to pointing and verbal prompt). Sometimes I try to entice him by playing with the toys myself, or shaking them around a bit.  Most times he needed all these prompts, and some time to think about it, before he'd move to the toys. It's a work in progress.

In place of the piano, L. decided we should try a basic puzzle. It has three shapes with big knobs on them.  For taking the pieces out of the puzzle, Ryan has to pick them up independently, and then I brush them off to the side (so he doesn't mouth them).  For putting the puzzle pieces back in, Ryan picks up the piece independently, then I guide him (HOH or wrist prompt) toward the puzzle. If he drops it on the puzzle, that's good; then I model how to put the piece in correctly.  Ryan was cooperative, and even tried to put the puzzle pieces in a few times. Of course, he thinks it's way more fun to pull them out, though. He always loves emptying things/pulling things out better than putting them in.

We also tried uncovering the ball again, which he hasn't worked on in a while.  Um, he did it perfectly. Every time I covered the ball with the towel and asked, "Where's the ball?" he whipped that towel off with force!  No prompts needed. 

Circle time had all new songs this week.  I guess they switch to a new group of songs every month.  Ryan loved the new songs!  He was very engaged in the new book "Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?" and continued to hold pictures and match them to book characters independently.  He also initiated another turn with the song "A Building We Will Go": he grabbed at the blocks because he wanted to go again!

Ryan also wowed everyone at the end of the day when we said goodbye. We've been working on waving "Hi" and "Bye-Bye" at home. When L.A. got down and waved "bye-bye" to Ryan, I gave him a wrist prompt, and he waved back.  Then T. gave it a try. He waved back at T., too! 

It's just crazy how this boy can be screaming inconsolably for a half hour, and then be an absolute superstar the rest of the day. Can you say, "Emotional Roller Coaster"?!

No comments:

Post a Comment