Friday, April 19, 2013

Final Day of Unity: Graduation Party!

I found this picture being used as the cover photo on the Summit Centre's Facebook page. Now I know how they used the puzzle pieces we decorated a few weeks ago on Easter Fun Day!  Ryan's puzzle piece is the second one in the bottom row, with the sun on it.  (You can click for a bigger view of the picture.)

***
Our final day started out in typical fashion, with Ryan climbing into the wagon and "asking" for a ride (although it's more like demanding a ride!).  Papa was stopping and having him try to put the balls in the basket again.  Ryan did it, but he definitely wanted to be done with it and have "more" wagon rides!

Papa is encouraging Ryan to push the balls into the basket.
[Watch Ryan put the balls in the basket and sign for "more" in the video below!]
 

Ryan was not happy when we tried to take him out of the wagon, so I suggested we get out the Thomas ride-on toy to distract him. At first he turned his head away from it and whined, but then he walked over and held out his hand for me to help him climb on. As usual, once on the train, he perked up and took off.  Although the video below was meant to show how well Ryan is doing with this ride-on toy, I think the most amusing part was me running backwards in front of him, trying to film it as he rocketed down the hallway!  You can even hear L. laughing at me, in background, as we pass her office. LOL


When it was finally time to really start our final day, Ryan was really unhappy. He didn't want to stay in the Yellow Room, and he was even more upset when I had to leave to do our final research session. He actually walked over to me and cried as I went out the door! I think maybe he sensed this day wasn't following the usual routine, and it upset him a bit.  Anyway, I left him with to play with D. and Papa, so he was in good hands. 

The therapists took my book of data sheets and photocopied it for the students to study and analyse. I believe they do this for all Unity participants, as part of the Unity program research. However, Ryan's data looks a lot different than others, because the level he's at didn't lend itself to the complicated graphs and percentages that other Unity participants have to complete for their data. I hope the data from Ryan's programs adds something unique to the Unity research that might help others.

When I returned from research (I do an interview and questionnaires based on my experiences during Unity, an also about parent coping/stress), they had a final craft for us.  We got to make a sensory bottle!  I knew H. had said that we'd make one sometime, but I supposed we had been ill when they made it. Luckily, they did it today, instead.  First, we got to decorate the outside of a plastic bottle with stickers.  As usual, Ryan gravitated to the bright and sparkly ones, and helped us press them on.  Then, we had to choose a variety of interesting objects to put in Ryan's bottle for sensory/visual interest.  Ryan lost his focus on the activity for a bit, so Papa and I decided to put in the sparkly things he likes: glitter, pretty gems, and tiny, shiny flowers. Then, Papa poured the water in the bottle, and I had Ryan choose a container of food colouring to colour the water. He chose green.  It was perfect: Summit Centre's colour, and it matched the tape we put on it to keep it safely sealed.  Ryan was being a bit fussy still, but Papa caught his interest by shaking up and rolling around the finished product for a while, so Ryan could see all the sparkly things whirling around inside.



After our craft, it was time to go into the Rainbow Room for a graduation party! I knew they had something planned with caps and gowns, but I wasn't expecting a whole party. It was really nice.  The SC staff set up a snack and drink table, and had two little green gowns for our boys to put on.  They also brought out the graduation caps the boys made the other day.  All of our Unity therapists, the program secretary, the executive director (H.), and the clinical director (Dr. G.), as well as some students and volunteers, were there to celebrate with us and say goodbye.

Ryan tolerated the gowning well, despite the fact that it was way too big for him, and wrapped around him like a toga!  The graduation cap, however, was a different matter, but we still had fun with it.

Papa helping Ryan put on his graduation gown

Ryan in cap and gown (He is smiling!)
My Silly Monkey!
As you may have noticed, Ryan's in the wagon for all of his pictures in cap and gown.  We decided it was the best way to go because he was happy in the wagon.  It made him much more cooperative for the gown, cap, and pictures. Besides, we know the wagon has played an important role in Ryan's time here!
It just wouldn't be Ryan if he didn't try to chew on his graduation cap. LOL

Mommy and Papa posing with Ryan and our graduation certificates
We did it!
(Although I look like I'm in pain, I just wasn't ready for the camera. LOL)
Ryan relaxed after our photo session with a Timbit and a bottle of milk. The staff were surprised to see Ryan eating a Timbit!  The funny thing was that each time Ryan took a bite, he made a face like it was terrible; then, he would reach out toward Papa's hand and pull it back for another bite, silly boy.


I was also surprised and touched that the Summit Centre gave us a graduation gift of a gift card for Teach N Toys. That will be a great opportunity to get some special learning materials for Ryan.  It was a very thoughtful gift.

We had one last thing to do after our party, though.  In Unity, they videotape the first circle time we do with the kids, and then one in the final week, to compare how the kids have changed and what they've learned.  I was worried Ryan's final circle would not reflect his improvement over the last three months if he was having a rough day. Well, I had no need to be worried today!  Ryan's circle time was the most fun one I have ever seen him have.  He was giggling, silly, and happy through the whole thing!  Another funny thing that happened was I started to say something to Ryan, and addressed him as "Ja--."  I caught myself, but everyone had heard it, and we all started laughing.  I guess after spending three months together, I'm entitled to get the boys' names mixed up!

When circle time was done, there were a few moments of sitting there and letting it all sink in.  We were free to go, or stay, as we pleased.  As we prepared to leave, Ryan suddenly stood up and went over to L., the senior therapist, and held his arms up to her.  He wanted a final cuddle. He wanted to say good-bye!  We all had kind of a "moment" because Ryan totally initiated that interaction of his own will, and sat in L.'s lap for a while and had some cuddles.  She gave him a little pep-talk about keeping up the good work, not being too hard on mom, and how much she's loved seeing his personality develop over the last three months. Even L. hadn't expected to find so much inside this little guy when she first met him. 

Finally, we had to leave.  As we left the Meeting Room, Ryan suddenly took off down the hall, running and screeching happily and waving his arms in the air! It was like he realized the program was done, and was having a moment of celebration. We were all laughing and calling, "Run free, Ryan!" as if he were escaping the program.  But really, we didn't want it to end.

When we got back to the Rainbow Room, B. (graduate student) was there to say a final good-bye to Ryan. She's worked with us a lot.  Ryan needed a little prompt, but he did wave bye-bye to her.  Then, as he walked away from her, toward the coat hangers, he held up his left arm and started independently waving. It was the best and most spontaneous wave I have ever seen him do. It was almost like he understood we're not coming back anytime soon, and was waving bye-bye to Summit Centre!

Mommy and Ryan's Unity hand print craft
***
 
"Believe in me . . . I can do amazing things."
 
Yes, I do believe in you, Ryan. Yes, you have shown me you can do amazing things. Slowly, and with intense work, we can bring Ryan more and more into our world. I do not know what the future holds for our little man, but I am hopeful. 

2 comments:

  1. Crying like a big baby. Thanks for sharing Ryans journey at the summit center with us. I hope that you will continue to blog as Ryan continues to emerge and find his voice. Love you all so much
    .Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with Donna. Tears of joy and happiness and hope for the future. Love you all big time and can't wait to see you this summer.
    --Mom

    ReplyDelete